KJ's Music Blog

Music - Passion - Love - Inspiration - Vocal

08 February 2009

The Sound Of Music

If you love music, watching 1965 musical movie "The Sound of Music" is a must, starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. With its simple plot, and happy-ever-after ending, it's hardly not to get touched and connect your emotions to the movie and the songs.

The story is about Maria (Julie Andrews) who's going to be a nun, but she's falling miserably in her attempts to become a nun because she's a rules breaker, she has her own way to face the world, she loves music. For god's sake, Maria is then sent to the Navy Captain Georg Von Trapp's (Christopher Plummer) family to be a governess to take care of his 7 children who's already lost their mother. Maria has completely changed the way Captain Georg manages his family, she brought back the music to the family, teaching the children how to sing is the best part of all. Relationship between father Captain Georg and the children becomes better and closer through music, and eventually Maria and Captain Georg find themselves falling in love, though Georg is already engaged to a Baroness. The romance makes the story even more complete, and predictably, they are married. But their happiness is then threatened when Austria is about to come under the control of Germany, and the Captain may soon draft himself into the German navy and forced to fight against his own country. The story ends with the family is trying to escape to the other part of world.


Not only the plot of the story that magnificent, but also the lyric of the song enlightens me some precious lessons.

1. I Have Confidence by Julie Andrews
"And mind me with each step I am more certain, everything will turn out fine. I have confidence the world can all be mine, they'll have to agree I have confidence in me..."

- This tells me to be myself, be confident in everything I have.

2. My Favourite Things by Julie Andrews
"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favourite things and then I don't feel so bad..."

- This tells me to recall all my good stuff and memories when I'm feeling down. That's just the way it is, you can do nothing.

3. Do-Re-Mi by Julie Andrews and the children
"Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun
Me, a name I call myself
Far, a long, long way to run
Sew, a needle pulling thread
La, a note to follow Sew
Tea, a drink with jam and bread
That will bring us back to Do (Oh,oh,oh)..."

- This is simply bravo. I really admire the people who wrote this.

4. The Lonely Goatherd by Julie Andrews and the children
"O ho lay dee odl lee o, o ho lay dee odl ay, O ho lay dee odl lee o, lay dee odl lee o lay..."

- This one showcases the exchange of the voice of falsetto and full voice. Surprisingly great.

5. So Long Farewell by The children
"There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall, and the bells in the steeple too, and up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say cuckoo..cuckoo..."

- Scene of this part is so warm. I nearly cry for this one, the children sang this so innocently. That is why the word "it's hard to say bye bye" is said.

6. "Climb Ev'ry Mountain by Mother Abbess
"Climb ev'ry mountain, search high and low, follow ev'ry by-way, every path you know...Climb ev'ry mountain, ford ev'ry stream, follow ev'ry rainbow, 'till you find your dream..."

- "Finding your dream is just like climbing every mountain", what a good description.

"The Sound Of Music" is a 5-star musical movie. It brings your love towards music from the beginning till the end. And surprisingly, it has already being with us for almost a half century and has its impact with us for forever, hopefully.


xoxo.

No comments: